How to measure and optimise efficiency in the cloud??
Financial management in the cloud has become an essential component for any organisation seeking to optimise its technology resources and maximise the value of its cloud investments.
The emerging methodology, FinOps, a combination of finance and operations for effective financial management in the cloud, is essential to achieving these goals.
But how do you know if you are succeeding with your FinOps strategy? The answer lies in assessing your performance with relevant metrics and performance indicators that collect data that is useful for making smart business decisions.
The Importance of Metrics in FinOps
Data is essential to the analysis of any strategy; it provides a clear and quantifiable view of how you are managing your costs and how your investment is performing. Without proper metrics, you’re sailing blind and can’t make informed decisions to optimise your cloud costs.
Here are some key metrics you could use to evaluate your FinOps strategy:
- Total Cost in the Cloud (TCN): This metric is the sum of all cloud-related expenses, including infrastructure, storage, data transfer and services. It is critical to have a complete view of your overall cloud investment.
- Cost per User or Application: Divide your CTN by the number of users or applications in your organisation. This will help you identify which resources are the most costly and where you can optimise.
- Resource Utilisation: Measure what percentage of your cloud resources are in use. You can identify underutilised resources and take steps to eliminate or adjust them.
- Resource Creation and Deletion Rate: Evaluate how many new resources are created and how many are deleted. A high rate of creation without deletion may indicate a lack of optimisation.
- Elasticity: Measures how efficiently you are able to scale resources according to demand. A high degree of elasticity may indicate effective cost management.
Key KPIs for Cloud Efficiency
In addition to these metrics, it is important to define KPIs or performance indicators to help you measure the overall success of your FinOps strategy:
- Return on Investment (ROI): Calculate how much you are earning relative to your cloud investment. A positive ROI indicates that you are getting significant value from your cloud resources.
- Cost Savings Percentage: Measures the percentage of savings you have achieved through FinOps practices. This allows you to evaluate how efficient your strategy is.
- Policy Adherence Level: Evaluates how rigorously FinOps policies and procedures are being adhered to throughout your organisation. A high level of adherence to these policies is critical to ensuring the long-term success of your cloud financial management strategy.
- Problem Resolution Time: Measures how long it takes to identify and resolve cost-related issues in the cloud. Shorter resolution time indicates more efficient management.
Once you have established metrics and KPIs relevant to your organisation, continuous optimisation becomes a more structured process. Use these metrics to identify areas for improvement, make informed decisions and adjust your FinOps strategy as needed.
Remember that financial management in the cloud is a collaborative effort involving finance, operations and development teams. Effective communication and teamwork are key to the successful implementation of FinOps practices.
If your organisation is looking for help implementing the FinOps methodology, don’t hesitate to contact us. We are committed to providing your team with a robust strategy to manage and optimise your cloud costs, enabling you to maximise the value of your investments and achieve optimal levels of efficiency across your organisation.
Luce IT, your reliable technological innovation company
“Creating happy teams”
The history of Luce is a story of challenges and nonconformity, always solving value challenges using technology and data to accelerate digital transformation in society through our clients.
We have a unique way of doing consulting and projects within a collegial environment creating “Flow” between learning, innovation and proactive project execution.
In Luce we will be the best offering multidisciplinary technological knowledge, through our chapters, generating value in each iteration with our clients, delivering quality and offering capacity and scalability so they can grow with us.